Wednesday, March 2, 2016

SOLSC - What A Difference ANOTHER Day Makes - Ugh


 It's March - Time for the month long Slice of Life challenge thanks to Two Writing Teachers.

No, this is not a joke. (Yesterday I posted "What A Difference A Day Makes".) I am not sure I have the energy, let alone brain power and awakefulness to share it all now. Here is the teaser - a sliver of life.

I was not able to write this morning, as per my usual writing time as I was at the hospital. Yes, I went back to the ER, but this time not for me. 

As we were walking into the house yesterday evening my daughter tripped and fell. Oh how I wish there was some amazing story to this fall as I have already been asked about it innumerable times, but there isn't. She simply fell, as all kids do from time to time. Daddy picked her up, the crying not being a true indication of anything at that point, but I saw blood so I hurried ahead to get a clean cloth and an ice pack.

As they walked through the door I wiped up some of the blood that had accumulated in the 20 steps they had taken; her arm, her hand, her cheek. I sat in the entry way with her applying slight pressure and fighting with her to let me keep ice on her face. The blood was coming from near her right eye. As her crying continued hysterically and her breathing had a 'hic' to each attempted inhale I tried to ascertain if anything else hurt. She was not having any of it so I started asking her if she could open and close her hands. I was still trying to see if anything else was going on, but I also wanted her to focus on something else because she was not calming down at all. She didn't want to have anything to do with that either, but her volume had at least diminished. "Does anything look funny?" I asked. She shook her head. I breathed a sigh of relief; she hadn't lost consciousness and didn't have blurry vision. When I asked her to hold the ice pack the focal point of the ice shifted from the bloody gash near her eye (what I could see) to her cheek bone (what she could feel). At least I was paying attention and learning things.

It was 5:30 p.m. I had a migraine. I had planned on taking some meds and hiding out, letting Daddy and daughter spend the evening together. Ha! I was about to be spending 18 hours at the hospital.

3 comments:

  1. What a scary moment! You're a great mom for being able to read what she was saying with her body and not only her words. Hope she's feeling good today (and that you get to relax a little!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary for both you and your daughter. I hope all is better now and that she wasn't too badly hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting to hear the "what happened" and as I expected, it showed up here. Just glad there wasn't a seizure along with the fall.

    ReplyDelete