Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ah, Adolescence

I recently received an email from a student.

Can you send me the homework and class work for (dates) because I will be absent.
From, (student)
After reminding the student that it is their responsibility to check with a friend and on our student management system for any worked missed, I didn't think any more about it.

Then I got a chat from a colleague.

The colleague asked if I had seen the email and then went on to say they had forwarded it on to the counselor so the inappropriate references could be dealt with.

What?!??! I obviously missed something.

medium_532663899_questionmarkSome rights reserved by makeitgreat

I went back to the email. I read it and re-read it and didn't see anything inappropriate.

Then I clicked on 'details'.

Ah! The student had given the teachers nicknames in their address book and obviously hadn't realized those nicknames show up when you use the email addresses.

I chuckled at the immaturity of it, referring to a teacher by a body part and pointing out another's complexion challenges.

I am jealous of our counselor. I would LOVE to get to have the conversation with the student.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That would be an interesting conversation!
    Needs reminded about the golden rule huh ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students believe they know everything, & then there are those "addresses". Sounds like a lesson in online etiquette, doesn't it? I'd like to hear the session too, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete