Saturday, March 17, 2012

First thing in the morning

March SOLC

I do have an ideal start to my day. It is not the way things usually happen.  It is even less frequently since becoming a mom. My favorite way to start a morning is to wake up on my own. (No alarm, call to prayer, noise of someone else in the house, or being ‘paged’ through the monitor.)

I then spend a few minutes just reveling in the fact that I woke up unassisted. Realistically I probably have to get up and pee, but then I crawl back between the sheets. Now is the time when I hope to have time unfurled before me. I know exactly what I will do.

I pull the book from where I put it down the night before and dive back into whatever journey I left for sleep. I revel in this added bit of reading time that is not a planned part of my day, but always welcome. Ideally I read until I fall asleep again.

When I wake up from my nap I am happy to crawl out of bed and really get started with me day.

It happened this morning, even though I woke at 5 a.m. I tried to just roll over, but my mind had already started to wander down its path. Instead of being fed-up with my lost sleep I opted to not go downstairs and start working. Instead I grabbed my Kindle and followed Cal further into Peeps. I even got a nap, be it very briefly, in before it was time to get going with the day. What a great start to my week.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great way to "Ease" into your day. Reading is such a pleasure. I love the line, "I tried to just roll over, but my mind had already started to wander down its path." That happens to me a lot. A good book, is a great alternative. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. Today is our first school day of the week so this was my 'Monday' morning.

      Delete
  2. I love when we don't have to adhere to the 'schedule'. I also love when I can go back to sleep when waking up in the middle of the night !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love early morning reading. I'm always too tired in the evening to read much, so it's my favorite vacation treat. Once I spent all day in a hotel room (my husband said I'd be bored) reading a book. It was such indulgent bliss! I love your line, "I revel in this added bit of reading time . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep forgetting that your school week is different from ours! Good for you that you took that early morning nap...I just haul myself out of bed and go, go, go...which I come to regret at 2:30, in the middle of the last period of the day. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happened to me last week where I woke up at 5am and actually stayed up! It's kind of a cool feeling to get a few extra hours to the day in the morning. I'm so not a morning person at all! I hope you have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete